Thursday, December 4, 2008
Our decision to adopt...
I new from a very young age that adoption was an option for me. When I directed our VBS's at Liberty we had missions projects that went along with each theme. One year our missions theme was "Shoes for Orphan Souls". There were pictures of orphans all over the place. On the books, the walls...everywhere. As I was teaching "my children" why it is important for us to help orphans, it occurred to me that...we should really help orphans. I know it sounds like a blond light bulb moment. (Sorry, if you are blond. My family always said I should have been.) Anyway, I knew from that moment on adoption is a wonderful way to grow a family. Fast forward a few years to when I found my wonderful husband, he agreed! We were married in June 2002 and had our first child in 2003 and our second in 2005. I had two absolutely horrible pregnancies! In 2007, my youngest son was about to celebrate his second birthday and for some reason it occurred to me out of the blue (I now know this was God...not blue...whoever that is.) that I have 2 1/2 years between each of my children and if I going to adopt I should get started. Well, I just let that thought pass. One day I was shopping with my mother buying clothes for my niece and cousin for their birthdays when I casually told my mother, "I need a girl." She, not so casually, said "YES, you do!" So, I came home and started doing research on adoption. I spent hours on the Internet...so long that I gave myself a headache. So, anyway, I decided to think and pray about it. Well, that very night I was in bed talking to God. (This is what I do. My husband falls a sleep as soon as he is in a horizontal position. It takes me a little longer. So, I either talk to God or the wall...kind of a no-brainer.) Anyway, at the very moment I start to discuss adoption my cat jumps up on my bed and starts doing his kitty thing. You know, kneading the bed, purring, settling in to choke me in my sleep (Well, that's what it feels like anyway.) It instantly occurred to me that this cat, this goofy cat that I don't like most of the time, has it better than more than half of the children in the world. WOW! No words can describe how I felt. I knew what I was going to do...other than first convince my husband that a house full of kids was a good idea...I think it took one day...I told you he is wonderful! So, are we doing this to "save an orphan"? No. Don't they need loving homes? Yes. But, we are simply growing our family in a way that won't kill me (bad pregnancies). So, really she is saving me. Our Father lead us here and we agree...it just happens to be the best for everyone involved. Thank you for joining us on this wonderful journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment